Tuesday, October 2, 2012

My Favourite Raw Foods

There are those that think eating raw food is a health and safety hazard. And then there are those that think it is just plain disgusting. I am neither.

And because of that: here are my top-three raw dishes to be eaten just like mother nature intended us to...well with a bit of help from the chef. 

Third Place: Carpaccio à la Gusto

I always have a problem with dry meat, so with a carpaccio I cannot lose. The raw beef meat served in paper-thin strips is so juicy, it melts in your mouth. 


The Italian chain Gusto, mainly home to the North-East of England and Scotland, is a good place to search for this culinary adventure. It is served with Caesar dressing and baby leaf salad and the only bad thing I have to say about it, is the fact that it is gone so terribly, terribly fast. 

Second Place: German 'Mett' Raw Minced Pork

Did you ever wake up in the morning and crave some raw minced pork on a freshly baked bread with salt and raw onions? No? Then you are not a German. Just kidding. But seriously, how could you not? The reason I have to place the German crude and rather peasant Mett before the classy, expensive Carpaccio is probably simple nostalgia. 



Like German sausages, Mett is hard to come by outside of Germany, since let's face it - who eats raw mea but barbarians? Still, one of the musts when visiting home is simply a nice Mettwursbrot (yes, that last one means bread).

And the winner is...SUSHI...well, actually...SASHIMI

Yes, I know that is uninventive...raw food...sushi, how boring. Well, you might ask how anything raw can be boring, especially since you might end up in hospital if its off. But I digress. Sushi, or to be precise Sashimi,  is simply my all time favourite raw food and quite possibly my favourite food of all time. 



There is just something poetic about the smooth taste of raw salmon, mixed with salty soy sauce and Wasabi. Or as I like to call the "Holy sh*t, I can breathe" horseradish. How could anything be boring about food that might seriously blow your brains out depending on the quality of the Wasabi. Don't you just love that split second before impact when you are about to find out whether scooping that much on to your raw fish was really a good idea? Tasty action food...definitely my number one. So, tuck in!

No comments:

Post a Comment